At Frederick Nattrass we respect a child's right to a happy and exciting childhood. We have developed a list of experiences that we want all children to have before they leave our school.
Here is the Frederick Nattrass list of things to do before you're 11:
|Year Group||Example of Essential Experiences|
- Make a mud pie - Kick the leaves on an Autumn Walk
- Feed the ducks - Prepare and eat a picnic
- Jump over waves - Visit the theatre
- Draw in the sand on the beach
- Climb a huge hill - Play pooh sticks
- Roll down a really big hill - Paddle in a stream
- Explore a rock pool - Build a sandcastle
- Visit a museum or place of historical significance
- Catch a fish with a net - Plant it, grow it, eat it
- Cook on a camp fire - Visit a restaurant and order from the menu
- Climb a tree - Build a dam and track wild animals
- Learn to play a musical instrument - Watch a concert
- Camp out in the wild -Go star gazing
- Go on a nature walk at midnight - Canoe down a river
- Perform in a theatre
- Go on a long bike ride - Explore a cave
- Build a raft - Visit a big city!
Forest School is an inspirational process, that offers ALL learners regular opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland or natural environment with trees.
Forest School is a specialised learning approach that sits within and compliments the wider context of outdoor and woodland education.
To enhance our curriculum, every child will go on at least one educational visit each year that is linked to their topic.
Every child also has the opportunity to attend a residential visit in Year 4 and 5 to Carlton Outdoor Education Centre and in Year 6 to Robinwood Adventure Centre.
Educational visits are a very important part of our curriculum. Year 5 and Year 6 visited the Great North Museum as part of their science work and Newcastle Synagogue to learn more about Judaism.